VLANs are in every network environment. Whether you’re configuring end-to-end or local VLANs you are segmenting the network into logical groups.
Before getting into the configuration of a VLAN, there are some best practices to be aware of:
- Avoid using VLAN 1. Put unused ports on an unused VLAN. I like to use VLAN 999.
- Separate voice and data VLANs.
- Place management on its own VLAN.
- Configure non-trunk links as access ports.
- Use SSH instead of Telnet.
To configure a VLAN, start in global config mode:
Create a VLAN with a VLAN ID number:
Give the VLAN a name:
[Read more…] about How to Configure VLANs